Les Mines d'Argent du Fournel (Fournel silver mine) and le Musée de la Mine (mining museum)
The silver-lead deposit in the Fournel valley was substantially mined in the Middle Ages (10th to 13th Centuries). Using a digging technique with fire, the excavation went down to 100 metres. The silver extracted was used by the archbishoprics of Embrun, Cesana and Grenoble in their money minting workshops.
Then during the industrial revolution between 1785 and 1908, several mining companies in succession continude to extract the mineral, up to 300 metres under the mountainside. A factory was built in the depths of the Fournel gorges and the mining activity employed up to 500 people.
Since 1992, the site has been the object of various archeological excavations. Volunteer organisations have helped to rehabilitate the site which today is open to the public.
Maison du Parc national des Ecrins
Information centre and meeting place where numerous exhibitions and activities are on offer.
A space of temporary exhibition allows to propose visits regularly renewed. The device is completed by an audiovisual room allowing to organize projections and conferences.
Museum area at Les Claux hydroelectric plant
A museum plus a discovery trail through the Pays des Ecrins.